HOME Forums The Six Disciplines of Agile Marketing book Feedback from Sheryl Root

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim Ewel
    Keymaster

In reply to your email on key items to cover in your book, consider:
    1. How does agile marketing minimize risk? Agility requires quick validation of ideas and problems to address as well as quick decision making in dynamic arenas. This implies quick product product responsiveness and learning from lots of little bets. This is a substantive change from the current 6 months to come up with a market strategy or campaign when needs are changing or evolving as we have seen with the pandemic, the advent of machine learning and AI, and the use of data analytics.
    2. How do you build collaboration and trust across a “community” that is dealing with a rapidly changing marketplace. For example, where is the lag time most evident and what is its source or cause. Slow or incomplete passes of information from a production team to a PR provider results in delays taking weeks instead of days to produce needed material. (I have seen a lag time of 60 days reduced to 3 days when a collaborative team uses the agile methodologies.) Making marketing part of the community for producing a dynamic solution is key for success. But, how is this best accomplished considering organizational impediments and biases?

Clearly, successful agile marketing is enabled by alignment of the parties that ensures effective participation and engagement. Also, the implementation differs between a startup and a well-established corporation. A culture of agile marketing is more easily created in a new business effort be it in a startup or a corporation.

Just my thoughts late at night. Good luck with your book and I look forward to reading it! Sheryl

PS I teach agile marketing for high tech ventures here at CMU. I would love to see you succeed with a good reading for the students. I do have them follow your blogs.

Jim Ewel
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for promoting Agile to your students. You’re an innovator that we need more of; I haven’t seen many college professors promoting Agile in marketing and other non-software development disciplines.

In regards to your questions:
    I argue in the book that Agile can reduce risk by making small investments before you make big bets, learning before you make big mistakes. I also recommend that marketing organizations build a portfolio of marketing bets, differentiated by risk, modeled after the 70-20-10 financial model. I’ll be interested to see your feedback on this section.
    Reducing lag time requires both changes to process as well as greater collaboration and trust, as you mention. The two most important changes to process are the use of cross-functional teams and the use of process policies, both of which I cover. Building trust requires changes in organizational culture, as well as getting everyone aligned around the same goals and incentives. I cover some of this as well.

Thanks for introducing the students to my blog.

Jim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.