HOME Forums The Six Disciplines of Agile Marketing book Feedback from Donghyung Cho

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim Ewel
    Keymaster

It is vertical organizational culture.
    In Asia, expressing a different opinion from a powerful person may be considered to be challenge against his or her authority. Under the vertical culture, a decision comes from seniority.

Marketing should be creative work which can flourish when diversity is assured. With Order and Submit, there is no diversity as well as creativity.

나의 iPhone에서 보냄

Jim Ewel
    Keymaster

Donghyung,

Thanks for the feedback. This is a real issue. I don’t talk about this directly, but I do cover how to sell Agile marketing to senior managers who are not receptive to Agile. My advice is basically the following: try a stealth approach: don’t use the term Agile; don’t use Agile terminology like Sprints, standups, etc.; figure out the manager’s hot buttons, what I call WIIFM (What’s In It for Me); and get the business units to advocate for you, that marketing is producing what they want. There’s more to it than that, but that’s the bare bones.

I also have a chapter about why it’s important for organizations to move to de-centralized decision making. I’m not sure it’s enough to overcome the vertical organizational culture in countries like Korea, China and Japan, but it might help.

Take care,

Jim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.